Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Getting Ready

It's almost here...


I've been getting ready.


The St. Patrick's Day Triathlon was my practice race. It was a sprint: 300m swim, 12 mile bike, 3.1 mile run. I did really well considering the weather. I hopped out of the pool and ran outside to 40 degrees and misting. Here's what it looked like...


My transition area wasn't ideal. Everything was cold and wet and I struggled to put on warm clothes after the swim. Needless to say, my transition time was really slow!



If I look freezing, its because I was! My feet were frozen numb for the entire bike ride. Not to mention I was soaking wet.



But once I started running, everything warmed up (except the weather) and I felt much better!



My finishing time was really good considering long transition times and crappy weather. I had a lot of fun and learned so much after putting it all together.
Luckily, this past Saturday was really nice for our team practice triathlon. We met at the lake to practice our open water swims in our wetsuits. Do I look like a triathlete??!



I loved that I had another chance to practice my transitions. In fact, we practiced it 3 times!

I think my biggest challenge (besides the 70.3 miles I'll be doing) will be the transition from my swim to the bike. I have to run out of the water, strip off the wetsuit, try to dry off my feet, put on socks & cycling shoes, put on my helmet & sunglasses & gloves, and run my bike past the mounting line before I begin my cycling. Although I don't think I'm going to worry about it too much! I'm just going to enjoy myself and get through it the best I can!


Here's my bike! I've had a lot of compliments on it! It's so pretty, I LOVE the color!


As strange as it sounds, by the time I get to my half marathon, I'll be so happy!


I'm off to Galveston next weekend (April 4th)! I hope my nerves calm down by then.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're going to do GREAT!! Have fun and get lots of pictures. :) The bike is super cute! Have you finished all the fund raising??

Karen Hathaway said...

Good luck!!! Just enjoy it and think about the fact that most people won't even attempt anything like this. Can't wait to hear how it goes:)

Home of The Dillmore's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Home of The Dillmore's said...

We hope you did better then you thought you was going too. Let us know how you did.